We ran across Radio! a few weeks ago and were impressed by his ability to pump out excellent disco house. He’s done it again with this edit of a personal favorite: Earth, Wind & Fire. This remix has taken a nice mellow slow-dance disco jam and has made it more energetic and hitting a bit harder.
“I would travel in your band
playing the fifth tambourine
I would travel in your van
singing the fifth harmony
take me away from all I know
I want to live inside your song”—Castledoor - “Fifth Tambourine”
A Handful of Summer is going to be an all week onslaught of new songs that come directly from my “Recently Added” playlist in itunes of which there are over 400 songs to choose from. Each day this week I will be posting 6-10 songs per day with downloadable links. Just right click on the red links (ctrl+click+download linked file for macs) to download the files. The links come from other music bloggers that I enjoy (email me if you want the link taken down because you aren’t the sharing kind) so there is lots here for you to discover. Enjoy day one.
2. MP3:Modern Skirts - Rebecca St. Claire (via WeAllWantSomeone) This Athens, GA band has an EP coming out July 6th. This is a great song about a ghost with a chorus that will have you singing along after one listen “She came from Alabama with a rose in her hand/ She said I’m gonna find me a Georgia man/ She came from Alabama with a rose in her hand/ Listen to me brother I ain’t telling you wrong/ I’m gonna make Georgia my permanent home.”
3. MP3:CEO - Come with me (via Musicphile) This is a song that everyone can enjoy with its strong summer vibe and serene sounds. The first five times I heard this song I was convinced he was saying “I need my riddle” which was slightly confusing, now I know that he is clearly saying “I keep it real”. I just needed to share that tidbit of idiocy. His album is due out next week.
4. Magic Man - Darling (Free album download from bandcamp: http://magicman.bandcamp.com/) I can’t get enough of this song, it reminds me a bit of the Freelance Whales. You can download it on their bandcamp site linked above.
5. MP3: Free Energy - Dream City(via Aquarium Drunkard) This band is awesome, you need to check them out if you don’t already know them. I like all their songs but this one is my current favorite. Such a great tune and a perfect summer anthem.
7. MP3:Blackbird Blackbird - Pure (via Delicious Scopitone) This chillwave song mimicked the way the sunlight was shimmering on the waves to such perfection, I was in awe and never wanted the song to end. It was one of those blissful perfect songs at the perfect time moments, thank you ipod shuffle. Mikey Sanders, the artist behind Blackbird Blackbird, uses music bloggers as his marketing vehicle and it has been interesting to watch. He has been releasing song by song each week to high profile bloggers and they eat it right up to the point where I think all music bloggers out there know of him, and more importantly genuinely like him. Well done sir. Even if he didn’t directly contact me with his tunes (cough cough), I still think you should all know about him. He has a tumblr and twitter that are worth following. And finally here is his newest video for “Summer Heart”. It’s ummm…summery if your summers include port-a-potties, beach parties, playing drums in the ocean, and lots of sunshine.
This is one of my favorite Daniel Johnston songs. The cover that Hey Marseilles does of this song is incredible (youtube video here). Hearing a woman’s voice on this song changes the way it sounds too. A very nice cover.
I still haven’t gotten around to listening to the much awaited “Twistable, Turnable Man: A Musical Tribute to the Songs of Shel Silverstein” and in searching on the web for some clips I came across this old one. Can’t wait to hear the new stuff.
Here are some of the most appreciated tweets of the day from music bloggers. The main point of the day was that EVERYONE loves the new Suckers album. Other than that here are some sweet links to videos, songs, and posts. They are all worth it. How anyone keeps up with this stuff is beyond me. (sorry for messed up formatting, I don’t know what happened).
Monarchy - Love Get Out of My Way (Holy Ghost ft. Dixon Remix)
This song is blowing through the blogosphere and the first time I heard it I thought “ehh one of these songs”. Then I put it on repeat and heard it four more times before I decided I really like it. Give it a spin. I highly suggest checking out Monarchy’s original songs. They sound a bit like old Phoenix. Listen to them on this blog: http://88days.co.uk/2010/06/monarchy-new-music-and-remixes/
The blogs are alive with the sound of this music...
The blogs are alive with the sound of this music from Magic Man. This local Boston band has a great free album, Real Life Color, available at bandcamp. It has a bit of Postal Service in it as well as their own lo-fi electronic sounds. Worth a few listens especially on the third track, Darling. Get it while it’s hot.
San Francisco band, Blackbird Blackbird, formerly Bye Bye Blackbird (yeah that name change was really confusing for me) has their latest EP available at bandcamp. It is great to put on in the background and zone out or get stuff done depending on who you are. Check it out. Get their song “Pure” for free, I can’t get enough of it. http://byebyeblackbird.bandcamp.com/
Check this out, it’s a good representation of last month’s hits. Find your new favorite songs here. I have been playing Sleigh Bells’ “Rill Rill” (formerly “Ring Ring”) for way too many days now, and my new favorite is the Michael Trent song. In fact, I downloaded this mix just for that song, and it was very much worth it.